Saturday, March 5, 2011

::cameo::

Inspired by Julie at Sweet Peanuts, I set out last week to create an old-fashioned cameo/silhouette of Heidi for her room. It was actually much easier than I anticipated! I will do this for each of our kids, maybe one every few years to line our halls as they grow? Ok, that's a little ambitious. But still, it's a cool idea.

Here is the photo I used for Heidi's profile:

I uploaded this to Picnik.com, a free online photo editing tool, and treated the image with the "pencil sketch" tool under the "Create" section. Then I cropped it close to print a larger version in B&W, like this:


Once it printed to the size I wanted, I outlined the profile with a thin felt, cut it out, and traced around that onto a piece of black construction paper with a white quilting pencil. I cut that out, flipped it and glued it into place on the scrapbooking paper you see below. I bought a frame from Michael's (LOVE those 40% off any one regular priced item coupons!) that matches one she already has hanging in her room and - voila! Heidi's very own cameo.


Thanks for the inspiration, Julie!

7 comments:

  1. love this! she has a beautiful profile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! You're so crafty. I never would've thought to do it myself. It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my grade 1 teacher doing this for each student in my class... only she used a spotlight and pencil on black construction paper, instead of camera and photo editor! I also remember her scolding me for not sitting still and my silhouette turned out all wonky. Good times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natasha, our grade 3 teacher did it, too! With the spotlight from the projector. I even remember the parent volunteers who did it that afternoon, and the fact that I had a ponytail in my hair. Wow, that throws me right back...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Meghan! I've wanted to make one of Naomi, now I need to find (or take) an appropriate photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally going to do this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, so very cool meg! you are the best mama. and i agree, she has a gorgeous profile.

    ReplyDelete