Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hurricane Wayne

Wayne has been home since Friday night and you'd think a bomb had hit the house! While I enjoyed having everything clean and tidy in his absence, it really left not much trace of his presence. Now that he's there and in and out with Dora all the time, there are muddy paw prints on the foyer floor, dirty dishes in the sink, clothes on the floor of the bedroom...you know, guy stuff. And as much as those things themselves infuriate me, the novelty has yet to wear off. It's nice to see evidence of my man around our home. It's also nice to have someone else walk the dog, empty the dishwasher and make my breakfast. I'm really being spoiled.

Wayne's graduation was awesome. I got on my flights there and back - praise the Lord! - and we even got to spend time together on the Tuesday night before the ceremony on Wednesday. I took public transit from Montreal airport to St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, which, in the thick of a new storm system, took as long as getting from Vancouver to Montreal! But hey, I could have paid $140 to sit in the same traffic in a warm taxi, or a total of $12 (with transfers) to hop from bus to metro to bus to bus, and end up in the same place. It's not like I was busy doing anything else!

I have never felt cold like that, before. The day I left was -13C, and it's so dry. Standing at the bus stop for 30 mins. in that was less than ideal. But for my 2nd Lieutenant...anything! I'd better get used to the cold, especially if we are posted to Petawawa or Shilo next winter.

I shot video of the ceremony - thanks to Christy and Ryan for lending me their camcorder! (I'll return it to you Saturday when you come over) - but I am still trying to figure out how to get the video onto my P.O.C. (piece-of-crap) computer and then post it here. Argh. Afterward, I met all Wayne's platoon mates in the bistro and they are a great bunch. Wayne took me to a fancy Italian restaurant for supper, where many of the grads and their families ended up. It was so fun.

I am so proud of my man for getting through this phase. Even though he's being bombarded with questions everywhere we go now, he's being so gracious and loves to tell his funny stories. He came home with four certificates and three photos to frame, one of which is a professional image of him all greased up with his can paint and lying in the brush with his weapon. It's strangely scary but so cool at the same time. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to seeing him in that environment, but he sure loves it.

He doesn't have to be back in Gagetown, NB, until January 14, so we have a whole month together. I apologize in advance if you come over this holiday season and the house is less than stellar. But you'll have to deal with it; I've got more important things to occupy my time than cleaning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment