Since I'm feeling particularly uncreative since the busyness of Christmas and because having my hubby home has taken a lot of my emotional energy (which is a good thing!), I've stolen this recap outline from Sharon, who stole it from someone else. Thanks, guys!
I wish you all a very happy new year!
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Sent my husband away to the Army and spent three months living in my own house alone...with Dora, of course. It's the single life I never had, without all the expensive and tiring partying and dating! We also experienced our first pregnancy, but lost it at 5 weeks in August.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't make NY's resolutions. Mainly because I know I'll find some excuse to break them. Besides, life is so full of twists and turns that I generally don't need them to keep me striving for something new or good. As for 2009, though, I think I will say to myself that I will resolve to be a more open, gracious and kind human being. I will also try to cut back on chocolate (ha! - right).
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, but Julie's about to pop! I hope she gives birth on my bday - Jan. 23.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandpa. He lived in Ontario my whole life but did fly out for our wedding in 2006 (he ended up having a heart attack that morning and spending the evening in ICU - my aunt delivered his speech very well). He was a lovely man and I have fond memories of him. Wayne's grandpa also passed away, though I didn't know him too well.
5. What countries did you visit?
USA (Alaska) - we hope to make it to France sometime in 2009!
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A better attitude and less anxiety
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 15 - the day my miscarriage began
August 21 - the day Wayne was officially accepted into the Armed Forces as an Officer Cadet
December 14 - the day Wayne flew home after graduating from his Basic Officer Training Course. He is now a 2nd Lieutenant.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Surviving the three-month absence from Wayne and decorating our home in the meantime.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not spending enough time with Christ, and not trusting His plan for our family.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our new car - love it! And the personalized dog tag I bought Wayne for his grad. It has my vows inscribed on it and our photo.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Wayne's - anyone who joins the Forces voluntarily, in my opinion, deserves to be celebrated!
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Mostly my own.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, the dog, and care packages for Wayne. :)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My first trip to visit Wayne in Montreal in October.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I listen mostly to talk radio, and Praise 106.5 tends to repeat a lot, so I can't say.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:?
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
HAPPIER, the same weight, and definitely poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Decorating and cooking. Oh...and exercising.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yes. I fell in love all over again when I reunited with my hubby.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
LOST! And So You Think You Can Dance Canada.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is a trap.
24. What was the best book you read?
My Love, My Life, which is all about being a military spouse. And The Shack - if you have not read this, read it now!
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Amy Winehouse - she's crude, but she's got talent!
26. What did you want and get?
I wanted Wayne to pass boot camp and he did. To work closer to home again, and I do. A couple of other things I won't list here...
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
Oddly, I really loved Iron Man. The growth from an uncaring, immoral and emotionally void human being to a compassionate, righteous man was really interesting and entertaining.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 26 last January and Wayne took me to Federico's on Commercial Drive. I wore my LBD - it was a hit. ;)
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not being separated from Wayne and not losing the baby (yes, that's 2).
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Joe Fresh and Forever 21. Concept? "Bargain-fab"
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
The character of Desmond Hume on LOST.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
While I was torn about the presidential candidates' values and background (they each had some good and some bad), I really was impressed with Obama's acceptance speech. Because I was a speechwriter briefly this year, all I could think of while he spoke (he didn't read much, I might add) was, "Whoever wrote this speech is brilliant - and now rich!"
35. Who did you miss?
Wayne, when he's gone.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I have to say it's a three-way tie between Angela, Erin and Marion. Great gals!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
God's timing is far beyond our comprehension; there really is a reason for everything. I need to let HIM write my story - and just go along for the adventure.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I'll be home for Christmas."
What about you?